Revision as of 06:14, 12 October 2014 by Braden (Added Summary)
This page documents how I improved my Internet access by using MultiPath TCP to simultaneously utilizing two ISPs.
It is currently incomplete.
- Install Ubuntu Server
- Install MPTCP by installing from the apt-repository
Linux TCP/IP tuning
net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 10000 65535 net.nf_conntrack_max = 50000
* soft nofile 999999 * hard nofile 999999
Add the following:
limit nofile 100000 100000
The initial approach: using a SOCKS proxy
Redsocks is a tool that, like tcp-intercept, transparently intercepts TCP connections, but then connects to a SOCKS proxy to complete the TCP connection.
Using Redsocks and SSH tunneling
My very first approach at using MPTCP was to create a persistent SSH tunnel between the two MPTCP-enabled nodes. This SSH tunnel could be connected with or without using VPN, and used autossh to detect failures and reconnect. This approach actually worked quite well, minus one small issue: Using the SSH tunnel meant the every TCP connection was actually multiplexed through the single TCP connection of SSH. This meant that if one application was saturating the link by downloading a large file or something, the TCP bufferers would fill and drastically hurt the responsiveness of all other TCP connections. For example, if a person tried to load a webpage over the MPTCP link, it look a long time (2 to 3 seconds), just to connect to the server, because the request had to wait in the TCP queues of the SSH tunnel. It also hurt the interactivity of SSH sessions over the WAN link, because it took seconds to receive character echos.
Using Redsocks and Dante
In trying to improve upon the issues of the SSH tunnel, the logical next step was to try creating a new MPTCP connection over the WAN for each intercepted TCP connection. So instead of configuring redsocks to connect to SSH's local-listening SOCKS server, I simply configured it to connect a SOCKS server running on the remote MPTCP node. Dante is the server I used for this, although I found simply SSHing to localhost to create a SOCKS server was often the simplest way. This approach resolved the queue-blocking issue I had with SSH, but now all TCP connections took longer to connect, because the SOCKS protocol has to make at least one extra round trip over the WAN to tell the remote MPTCP node which destination server to connect to.